- As children, Fred and sister Adele were exploited financially by their mother Johanna to move out of Omaha, Nebraska. As a result, Fred refused to take dance lessons.
- Fred often wore a top hat during his vaudeville performances with his sister to make him seem taller, for Adele quickly gained three inches on him. Adele was also considered the more talented sibling of their double act.
- After Funny Face was completed, Fred and Adele traveled to Hollywood for a screen test at Paramount Pictures. Unfortunately Paramount did not find the Astaires suitable for film, and the screen test has since been lost.
- There is a long standing rumor that Fred’s screen test for RKO Radio Pictures was also not well received. It is said that the report on the test said “Can’t sing. Can’t act. Balding. Can dance a little.”, which Fred later clarified as saying “Can’t act. Slightly bald. Also dances”. Of course the record and test are now both lost.
- When offered the idea of becoming a standing partner to Ginger Rogers, Fred was reluctant, for breaking apart from his sister left some emotional scars on him. He told his agent “I've just managed to live down one partnership and I don't want to be bothered with any more”.
If you are interested in adding private dance lessons or group dance classes to reap the many mood boosting and health benefits of ballroom dancing, take advantage of our . You can see our beautiful Fountain Valley dance studio that serves our neighboring communities like , and . Meet our friendly instructors for yourself and take advantage of our free introductory dance lesson to see how dance can be fun and contribute to your overall health and wellness.